Sunday, September 18, 2011

Voted Best Clam Chowder

I made clam chowder for our clambake yesterday.  I took a couple of recipes from www.allrecipes.com
and combined them until I had something that sounds pretty darn good, if I liked clams.  I personally do not like clams, nor do I like clam chowder.  However, the hub wanted to do a clambake.  He was going to make the chowder, etc.  But I decided that I would give it a whirl.  I'm usually a taster when I'm cooking so this was a bit tricky.  It was complete before the hub did the first and final taste test.  It passed!  I was accused of buying it and heating it up too!  LOL!  So, I hear that this is a must try!

Ingredients
(I tripled this recipe for our clambake.)
1 cup chopped onion
2 T minced garlic
2 cans diced potatoes (4 cups)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 cup bacon bits
3/4 cup butter
1 T sugar
3/4 cup flour
1 quart half & half
3 (6.5 oz) cans of minced clams

To Prepare
1.  Puree the onions and the garlic in a blender using just enough water to have a nice smooth paste.

2.  Open cans of clams and strain, keeping both the clams and clam juice separate.

3.  Add clam juice, potatoes, bacon, onion and garlic mixture, salt and pepper to a large pot.  Add water, if needed, to just cover the potatoes.

4.  Bring to a boil and then let simmer until potatoes are fork tender, stir often.


5.  In a separate pot, melt butter over medium heat.

6.  Once butter is melted, add flour slowly, whisking continuously.

7.  Add sugar, still whisking continuously.


8.  Slowly add half & half, still whisking continuously.


9.  Add cream mixture to first pot and stir.

10.  Add clams.

11. Serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment