Monday, September 5, 2011

Unclog a Drain with Baking Soda and Vinegar

I found this tip at http://www.thegoodhuman.com/2007/03/21/naturally-unclog-drain-with-vinegar/

I decided to give this a try since I've heard that using Drano or Liquid Plumber is not good for your pipes.  I'm not sure how true it is but why take chances.  We are having a slight problem with the bathroom sink drain. 


Had some trouble getting a good picture of the sink with water in it.

Materials
3/4 cup of baking soda
1/2 cup of vinegar
hot boiling water


The How To
1.  Pour dry baking soda down the clogged drain.
2.  Pour vinegar down drain.  Bubbling and fizzing action will take place.
3.  Close drain or stuff a rag in the drain to keep the bubbling and fizzing contained in the drain.
4.  Wait 30 minutes to let the baking soda and vinegar do it's thing.
5.  During this wait time, boil water.
6.  After the 30 minutes, slowly pour the boiling water down the drain.
7.  Repeat if necessary.

The Low Down
Well, the first time I attempted this, all of my baking soda did not go down the drain, I had it all in the sink as well.  I dumped the vinegar on top of it in hopes that it would still work.  No such luck, when I poured in the boiling water it didn't go down either.  So, I remedied the situation by using the handle of a toothbrush to break up the baking soda in the drain.  I am assuming that my clog (hair) was pretty high up in the pipe.  I tried it again and it worked.  It was still draining very slow so I did it a third time.  It worked like a charm.  I figured out that each time I tried unclogging the drain, it only cost me $0.60 so even doing this 3 times is worlds cheaper than Drano or Liquid Plumber!  AND all's good with the bathroom sink once again!

No comments:

Post a Comment