Thursday, November 24, 2011

Turkey Day Feast

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!  I sure did.  Been up since six.  Way too much food but we love leftovers and I don't have to cook for the next couple of days.  The hub and I agree that leftovers are the best part of holiday cooking.  I am dead dog tired working on my third wind.  Bedtime eta is 40 minutes so I figured I would blog a bit.

I had a slight change in plans with our menu for our feast...I changed up the desserts!  Don't you worry I will be making the pumpkin roll and chocolate pie soon enough.  =)

I posted our menu last weekend to plan for my shopping trip.  You can see that here.  As a recap...

Apps
Deviled Eggs - A Def Must
Short story on that...The hub makes these every year.  I finally busted him and figured out his game.  He fills the eggs just right (they are always good), I have never thought anything of it, I just figured that he didn't used a lot of miracle whip because I always have extra filling and my eggs have more filling then his.  WELL, the HUB does have extra filling that he hoards and eats himself!  Busted!  LOL!  No wonder he always makes the deviled eggs...
Corned Beef Rolls with horseradish spread - Wilma's Famous


Main Courses
Turkey! - The popper didn't pop but we were smart enough to pull it out and it was delicious!  See Turkey Post.
Spiral Ham - Wilma brought the ham, it was delicious as always.

Sides
Stuffing - The hub said it was a success - See Stuffing Post.
Mashed Potatoes and gravy- The real thing - See Mashed Potatoes and Gravy Post.
Green Bean Casserole - Yes, that one with the fried onion straws.  See Green Bean Casserole Post.
Baked Corn Casserole -Yum!  See Corn Casserole Post.
Rolls with Cinnamon Honey Butter  - Fabulous! - See Cinnamon Honey Butter Post.
Potato Salad - Furnished by Wilma (The hub can't live without it, especially if Ham is involved.)


Desserts
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cheesecake - See Chocolate Chip Cookie Cheesecake Post.
Cake Pops (Yes, I bought one of those cake pop makers that seem to be everywhere right now, I love Kohl's.  They were fun but Steel didn't like them like I thought he would.  Hmmm...) - See Cake Pops Post.
Pumpkin Pudding Whip Cream Dessert - Wilma brought it over, it was very good!

I think we will have a repeat next year.  I just need to make the desserts ahead of time next year, if possible. It's hard to do with work, extra cleaning and decorating going on but I will try...

This is how my day went...lots to do...
1.  Woke before dawn on my day off, pulled myself together and stumbled to the kitchen...
2.  Cleaned, stuffed and got the bird in the oven.  Stuffed was prepared the night before to save time on getting our rather large bird into the oven to make our 1pm serving time.
3.  Hub went to store to pick up last minute forgotten item and papers.
4.  Started Corn Casserole in the crock pot.
5.  Hub got the Green Bean Casserole ready to roll and set aside.
6.  Prepared Cinnamon Honey Butter for the rolls.
7.  Hub put eggs on stove for deviled eggs.
8.  Sent hub back to store because he used all the eggs for deviled eggs and didn't save me any.
9.  I went to store to grab miracle whip that we were way too low on to make the deviled eggs.
10.  I went back to the store because I needed cookie dough that I swore I bought last weekend but it was not in our frig, I also grabbed relish that we were out of.
11.  The hub finally finished the deviled eggs and I busted him with his hoarding the filling.
12.  Prepped the Chocolate Chip Cookie Cheesecake and set aside.
13.  Peeled, cut and got potatoes on the stove.
14.  Put Green Bean Casserole in the oven above the Turkey.
15.  Made Cake Pops and set aside to cool.
16.  Prepared the Mashed Potatoes and covered them in foil and put in warming tray at bottom of stove.
17.  Took Green Beans out of oven and covered them in foil and put in warming tray of oven.
18.  Finished preparing the Cake Pops and put in frig to harden chocolate.
19.  Brought Turkey out of oven.
20.  Popped rolls into oven.
21.  Prepared gravy, help of Wilma.
22.  Took rolls out of oven and put Chocolate Chip Cookie Cheesecake in.
23.  The hub carved the turkey as we set out all the sides, etc.
24.  Warmed up Steel's pizza in microwave.
25.  Set table.
26.  We chowed.
27.  Took Cheesecake out of oven.
28.  Cleaned up.
29.  Relaxed and waited until we all had room for dessert.
30.  Ate dessert.

I'm beat.  I think we all are.  It was worth every minute!

Happy Turkey Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment