Thursday, July 28, 2011

Super Easy Shredded Chicken - Crock Pot

I've seen many a recipe for shredding chicken that is way too time consuming!  I promise you that you cannot go wrong with this recipe.  You don't have to brown chicken first, etc.  The chicken is very flavorful and literally falls on the fork.  I make this up and freeze what I don't use for later.  I promise to share those recipes too. 

Ingredients:
1 - 3lb bag of frozen chicken breasts (still frozen)
1 can chicken broth
2 spoonfuls of chicken base

To prepare:
Dump ingredients into crockpot.  I always thought that you needed to thaw chicken before you cooked it.  Not so!  (I did my research.)  Cook until chicken falls off the fork.  (Put fork in chicken and it shreds very easily.)  Yesterday, I cooked it on high for 5 hours and it was perfect.  I have also cooked it on low for 10 hours and the results were the same.



When chicken is done, I use a slotted spoon to remove it from the crockpot and put into a separate bowl to cool more quickly.  (Save the broth.) 



I then shred it with my hands because I find that it is faster than using forks.  I fill small ziploc containers with the chicken and pour broth in to cover and completely fill the container.  (Works better when freezing if container is full.)



I put them in the freezer and take out when I need some.  A few minutes on defrost in the microwave does the trick.  I love time savers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment