This was a first for me! It was so amazingly easy and amazingly yummy! I had no idea how simple they were to make. I actually had no idea that they were made with ricotta cheese. I always assumed it was some kind of cream cheese concoction. Will be making these again in the near future, for sure! I cheated a little and bought the shells at the grocery store bakery, I wasn't ambitious enough to make my own. =)
Click Read More for the Recipe...
1 - 32 oz container of ricotta cheese
2 cups powdered sugar
4 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips
2 dozen mini cannoli shells
1. Empty ricotta cheese into a colander, cover with saran wrap and put in a bowl to collect water drippings and place in the refrigerator over night.
2. The next day, remove the cheese and push through a sieve. This removes any grittiness there may be.
3. Combine cheese, sugar, vanilla and chocolate chips in a medium mixing bowl.
4. Transfer filling to a gallon sized ziploc bag for piping into shells. (or use a piping bag, if you have one)
5. Cut about 3/4 inch from one of the bottom corners of the bag and begin piping the filling into the shells. Fill the shells one side at a time rather than try to fill the whole shell from one side.
6. Sprinkle with some powdered sugar.