Friday, July 27, 2012

Make Your Own Laundry Soap - Dry Version



I prefer this to the liquid version.  It is much easier to make and lasts much longer.  And you don't have to worry about the temperature of the water and the gelling of the soap, etc.  I made several batches of the liquid and each turned out a bit different in consistency, it was quite puzzling.

I have a front loading washer that has a drawer to pull out to fill with detergent and I thought that I could only add liquid soap.  I was wrong.  A friend told me that she used dry in front loader's soap drawer and the game was on!  I absolutely love this soap and it's so cheap.  I haven't bothered to figure out the savings but I have yet to buy more of any of the ingredients and I've been making my own soap for 4 months.  All of the ingredients totaled less than $10 and I have made 3 batches of liquid and 1 batch of the dry.  That's good enough for me!

See liquid version post here.



Ingredients
1 bar of Fels Naptha soap
1 1/2 cup Borax
1 1/2 cup Arm and Hammer Washing Soda
1 1/2 cup OxiClean
(All ingredients were purchased at Walmart in the detergent aisle and conveniently located next to each other.)


Fels-Naptha 

Super Washing Soda Booster Large

How I Did It
1.  I chopped the bar of fels naptha into small-ish pieces with a butter knife.  It chopped easily.  I placed the pieces, along with 1/2 cup of borax into my Magic Bullet and chopped it up.  The borax kept the soap from sticking to the blade.  (I, actually, separated this into three small batches since the whole batch wouldn't fix in my magic bullet.)  

                                   

                                   



2.  I added my chopped soap into an empty (and washed) ice cream tub and added the remaining ingredients.

3.  I secured the lid on the ice cream tub and shook it until I was satisfied that my ingredients were good and mixed.

4.  I add 2 Tbsp. to each load.

I prefer this to the liquid version.  It is much easier to make and lasts much longer.

I have a front loading washer that has a drawer to pull out to fill with detergent and I thought that I could only add liquid soap.  I was wrong.  A friend told me that she used dry in front loader's soap drawer and the game was on!

See liquid version post here.

2 comments: