Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Chicken Paprikash

Baby, It's Cold Outside...

Paprikash Time!



I use my Super Easy Shredded Chicken in this recipe!

I used to make the gravy and spend hours making this.  I have since started using short cuts.  It takes long enough to make the dumplings!  It tastes just as great!

Ingredients
Paprikash Sauce
4 shredded chicken breasts, refer to recipe link above
1 can chicken broth, I used what was left from my shredded chicken (14 3/4 oz size)
2 cans cream of chicken soup (14 3/4 oz. size)
16 oz. sour cream, I usually add a little bit more more like 20 oz.  (love sour cream)
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Onion Powder
2 tsp Black Pepper, or to taste
1 tsp salt, or to taste
3 Tbsp Sweet Hungarian Paprika

Dumplings
4 1/2 cups flour
6 large eggs
3 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups milk


To Prepare Sauce:
1.  I start with the Shredded Chicken in the crock pot, I usually make extra so I take out the extra chicken that I don't need, shred and freeze it.  I keep some of the broth that I don't use in my freezer containers.
2.  Add cream of chicken soup, sour cream, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, pepper and salt.  Mix and turn the crock pot back on to heat.


Prepare the dumplings:
1.  Fill pot with water, bring to boil.
2.  While waiting for water to boil, mix flour, eggs, baking powder and milk in a mixing bowl.
3.  Once water in boiling, using 2 spoons (one in each hand) add small spoonfuls to boiling water.  I use the second spoon to portion off the other to have small drops going into water.  They do expand when cooking. I sometimes have to take a large slotted spoon and cut them in half.  I've heard that they are supposed to be done when they float, but this is not the case when I make them.  I fill the pot until there is no more room at the water line and let each batch boil for 5 minutes and use a slotted spoon to spoon them out and put in strainer.
4.  Once all dumplings are made, I put into a separate bowl and mix with a few spoon fulls of sauce , enough to coat all the dumplings.  I do this so they don't stick together.  I keep them separate from the sauce because I eat the paprikash over egg noodles.  I'm not a dumplings fan, although everyone else int he family is!

To Serve:
Serve Sauce over dumplings or egg noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment