Sunday, June 17, 2012

Dad Rocks


Dad Rocks carved into a rock.  Steel and I made this for Dad/Hub for Father's Day.  It was a bit more of a 'Mom' project but Steel helped in spirit.  

How We Did It
1.  Steel picked out a rock from the backyard and wrote Dad Rocks on it with a black sharpie.  


 2.  I used a Tungsten Carbide Cutter bit in my Flexshaft (kind of like a Dremel) and carved Dad Rocks.  This was the first time I had ever attempted carving rock.  It is not so easy.  I'm sure it will come with time.  I didn't press hard until I had established good lines by pressing lightly over and over again.  The smoother the rocks the better, my tool didn't take too kindly to hitting ridges.  I don't really have any other good tips to help, perhaps at a later date, once I carve more.  I am sure that different rocks will be easier as some may be more difficult.



 3.  I carved the year on the underside of the rock.




No comments:

Post a Comment