Saturday, May 12, 2012

Avery's Stuffed Elephant


So, I had this bright idea to make coordinating stuffed animals to coordinate with Avery's Baby Quilt.  I used leftover fabric from the quilt that I chose based on my friend nursery theme of aqua blue and zoo animals.  

Wow...it was a bit more difficult than I had anticipated!  I had it all mapped out in my mind and in theory it works out great but for a first timer, well, let's just say it was not a beginner project for myself at least.  As long as you don't look too close...it's great!  LOL.  

Click Read More for my master plan put into action...
Materials
Coordinating Fabric#1 - Approximately 1/4 yard or larger 
Coordinating Fabric#2 -  (5 x 8 inch) piece for the inner ears
Needle
Thread
Disc Fabric Cutter
Pins
Fabric Shears
Pencil
Watercolor or thicker paper for making template
Stuffing
Sewing Machine optional

How I Did It
1.  I googled elephant images so that I got an idea of the correct shape as to not go completely by memory.

2.  I sketched out an elephant silhouette and an ear on watercolor paper (because it is thicker to be used as a template) and cut them out.  I tried keeping it as simple as possible keeping it in mind that it would be sewn and not be too difficult for this beginner.


2.  I folded a piece of fabric (#2) in half (right sides facing each other) and traced the ear template with a pencil.


3.  I cut the ear out 1/4 - 1/2 inches away from my pencil line, keeping it folded so that I would have two ear pieces.

4.  I repeated step 3 with the other fabric (#1).


5.  I placed the ear pieces together (one of each fabric), right sides facing each other.  I used my template (turned face down) to trace the ear shape on the second ear.  Note that with right sides facing together, the ears would be opposites.  


6.  I pinned the ears together and stitched along the pencil line except for the flat side where the ear would attach to the body.  


7.  I turned each of the ears right (or nice) side out and set them aside to attach later.



8.  I traced my elephant silhouette on a folded piece of fabric, again, with right sides facing each other.  


9.  I cut out 1/4 - 1/2 inches away from the pencil line, making 2 pieces front and back.


10.  To attach the ears, I placed the ears where I wanted them to lay on the right side of the fabric and used my disc fabric cutter to slice a slit (the same length as the straight part of the ear) into the fabric.


11.  I slipped the ear into the slit and folded the head down over it so that the fold was where the slit was and the edge of the ear was sticking through it by about 1/4 of an inch.  I stitched the slit closed making a rounded-ish line going from on end of the slit to the other.


12.  I unfolded it.


13.  I repeated steps 11 and 12 for the other side and ear.

14.  I placed both sides together, right sides in, I made sure that my ears were tucked in, not to be touched by stitching around the body.

15.  I pinned and stitched around my pencil line.  I made sure to leave an opening at the top of the body for stuffing.

TIP:  For inside corners (and all corners)...Trim the corners prior to turning right side out!!!

16.  I turned the stitched elephant right sides out.


17.  I stuffed the elephant.

18.  I pinned the top closed with the edges folded in.

19.  I stitched the elephant up by hand using a blind stitch, see this tutorial from Gratz Industries for help.


And that's it!  And here it is coordinating well!



No comments:

Post a Comment