Thursday, December 1, 2011

Mashed Potatoes and Gravy

I wanted the real thing (potatoes) this Thanksgiving.  I do cheat at times when it comes to mashed potatoes.  Bob Evans have a fantastic side that you can buy that we really love and it is so quick and easy.

Ingredients
Potatoes
5 pound bag of russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/4 cup of butter
1 cup of sour cream

Gravy
Turkey drippings
Wondra flour - My Grampa was a great chef and told me to always use wondra when making gravy
jar of prepared gravy (Yes, I cheat but see my reasoning below...)

To Prepare Potatoes
1.  Put cubed potatoes in pot covered in water and boil until very tender, stirring often.  (Cook until fork tender and then some.)
2.  Strain potatoes and transfer to a mixing bowl.  (I use my Kitchen Aid mixer.)


3.  Add butter and sour cream.  (No milk is needed.)
4.  Mix.  Start with a slow speed and increase slowly.
5.  Transfer to serving dish.



To Prepare Gravy
1.  Spoon dripping into a sauce pan and place over medium heat.
2.  Slowly add Wondra flour, whisking continuously.
3.  Add prepared gravy.
I decided to doctor the prepared gravy because I add so much butter under the skin of the turkey, most of my drippings are butter and I was afraid that the gravy would end up being a butter gravy instead of a turkey gravy.  The prepared gravy in just not good enough on it's own and this little doctoring made all the difference.  We (the hub and I) thought it was great.






No comments:

Post a Comment