Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Potting Bench Makeover


Remember this great bench Steel and I garbage picked found??  Well, it got a makeover!


It was in pretty bad shape and needed some cleaning.  I found this wood cleaner in the garage that would do the job.  I hear that vinegar will do the job as well but might as well use up the wood cleaner.  I mixed with water in a bucket.  I didn't pay too much attention to the directions of measuring out 1 part clear to 5 parts water.  I just poured.


Just a few strokes with the nylon scrub brush and I could see that it was working and working well.


I scrubbed down the whole bench and let it sit for 20 minutes and hosed it off.



I gave it a few days to dry...

Then...
I grabbed some Krylon Watermelon...


and sprayed away, following up with a hand sander...




My plans were to stain over top of my freshly painted and sanded project.  This would stain the bare wood.  

I had to put my project on hold due to time constraints and other time consuming demands.  My project sat on the top of our hill for a couple weeks and the more I looked at it, the more I DID NOT like the color watermelon!  I think watermelon is a nice enough color and all but not for this particular Potting Bench.

I decided to grab some Krylon Ballet Slipper and White...


I sprayed and sprayed...  


I can't tell you details of how I sprayed but I tried to give the same effect as I got when I sanded (using the watermelon).  This took a lot of trial and error.  This was more of an experiment than anything else.


Having the watermelon underneath was a nice effect, as it showed through in lightly sprayed areas.


I am over all pleased with the way it turned out.


No comments:

Post a Comment