Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Canned Jalapeno Peppers


I decided to take my first stab at canning.  The peppers went wild in our garden and we have an overabundance of peppers.  I searched for canning recipes and did my homework on the whole process.  It is not that terrible.  It is very important that you get the ratios correct on the vinegar and the water.  I cannot even start to explain why but let's just say, you can get sick.  I learned a few lessons on the way.  These are my canned jalapeno peppers, we can't wait to try one.  It's going to be a long 8 weeks...

Click Read More for the recipe and How To...
Ingredients
Lots of Jalapeno Peppers
2 1/2 cups of white vinegar, 5% acidity
1/2 cup water
3 T white sugar
1 tsp minced garlic, per jar
1 tsp pickling salt, per jar

Tools and Supplies
Mason Jars and lids
Medium sized pot to boil the syrup
Large stock pot to process the jars
Magnet on a stick, found near mason jars/supplies
Jar tongs, found near mason jars/supplies
Jar wrench, found near mason jars/supplies
Funnel, optional, I may try one next time  =)

To Prepare
1.  Add water to a stock pot, put 'er on the stove over high heat to bring to a boil.  You may need to add water to the pot as you will need this to be boiling during this entire process. 

2.  Clean peppers.  An easy way is to soak them in the sink filled with water with 1 cup of vinegar added.  Just soak them until needed in step 6.

3.  Clean your mason jars well.

4.  Add vinegar (I never noticed that the vinegar had acidity listed on the bottles but the vinegar I had in the cupboard was 5% acidity and so were the whole lot of them at the grocery store.  I am assuming that 5% acidity is most common), water and sugar to a medium pot and bring to a boil.  This should be ready after steps 5 & 6 are complete.  If is is boiling prior to being needed, turn the heat to simmer so your syrup won't boil away. 

5.  Once your stock pot water is boiling, add mason jars and lids (not attached) to sterilize.  Be sure to use the jar tongs so you don't burn yourself.  It is even suggested that you leave your tongs in the boiling water as well.  Leave them in the pot until you are ready to fill them.  They should stay in there at least 10 minutes.


6.  Cut small, vertical slits in the tops of peppers near the stem.

7.  Use the jar tongs to remove the jars and the magnet to remove the lids from the stock pot.

8.  Fill jars with cleaned and prepared jalapenos.

9.  Add garlic and pickling salt to each jar.

10.  Pour syrup into each jar to 1/4 inch from the rim.  This is where I would highly suggest that you use a funnel.  I had an accident and spent the remainder of the day cleaning up my sticky kitchen floor.  I must have mopped 5 times, not including the times I was on my hands on knees wiping it with yet another clean (unsticky) rag. 

11.  Add lids and secure tightly.  Using a lid wrench helps since everything is hot.



12.  Use jar tongs to place the jars back into the stock pot boiling water bath for 15 minutes to process.

13.  Repeat process until all peppers are canned and processed.

14.  Mark the date on the top of your jars and enjoy 8 weeks after that date!  We cannot wait to try ours. 

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment