My absolute favorite pickle is the Bread and Butter pickle. Imagine my surprise when I stumbled upon this fantastic recipe to make my own...at Brown Eyed Baker. I ran right out and bought a fancy, shmancy vegetable slicer at Bed, Bath and Beyond to cut cucs to pickle! This is seriously easy.
5 medium sized cucumbers (I looked for pickling cucumbers and turned up with nothing. I settled for the smallest ones that I could find.)
Kosher salt, to sprinkle
1 cup sweet onion, thinly sliced
2 cups white vinegar
1 cup cider vinegar
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
3 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp celery seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric
1. Cut cucumbers approximately 1/4 inch thick with fancy vegetable slicer (or a regular paring knife...haha)
2. Layer in a bowl sprinkled with kosher salt, cover and set in the frig for an hour or two.
3. Remove cucumbers from the bowl and rinse in a colander, return to emptied bowl, toss with onion and set aside.
4. In a medium saucepan, add vinegars, sugars and spices over medium heat and stir until sugars are dissolved.
5. Pour mixture over cucumbers and onions and let set for about an hour at room temperature.
6. Transfer all ingredients to an air tight container and set in the frig overnight.